Oh wells, while I'm here let's brag about my uber new operating system! That's right, folks, I have finally and officially begun my great exodus away from the oppressive, autocratic rule of all-powerful and horribly lousy microsoft software. I hereby announce that I am now running
:D
Of course I still have vista home basic lurking around in another partition, since transferring to another operating system inevitably involves a learning curve (and also because some of my modules *cough cs2301* still forces us to use windows software). However! I have already grown completely attached to my new desktop environment and have immediately developed an intense condescending loathing for Vista basic's lousy user interface (linsien's xp desktop looks better T.T). Anyways, I hope you'll excuse me, but what's bragging without abit of advertising?
So! Why Ubuntu?
1) Cause it's LINUX!! Speaking from the point of view of a previous (ok, and to some extent current) user of Microsoft's loudly dubbed "most secure" Windows system, I'd say vista was nothing. The few new security features in vista that drew my grudging approval turned out to be only a part of the stuff that has been sitting in UNIX systems for ages. If that's not enough to convince you, consider this. I strode my merry stride into the Ubuntu with no user guide, minimal external help, and not an inkling of how to get stuff done. So in typical yuenhoe fashion I went about trying to get lotsa stuff (mostly to do with eye-candy elements, I'll admit) installed and working, hitting about doing lots of random stuff. And get this : ubuntu has no system restore. Undeterred, I rambo-ly crashed around the supposedly sacred system files in random newbie fashion, and managed to make lotsa things go horribly wrong, including completely shutting down my graphical user interface. AND HERE'S THE IMPORTANT BIT : my system is now in perfect, stable, beautiful working order. I didn't reformat, didn't reinstall, didn't REPAIR install, didn't even use any form of recovery tool. I could undo all the mess I made just by interfacing with the system's configurations and settings. TRY DOING THIS WITH WINDOWS AND NOT END UP WITH PERMA BLUE SCREENS OF DEATH!!
2) Cause it ain't microsoft. Self-explanatory.
3) Cause its Open Source! Hence it's free. It's legal. It's stable. And it sure as hell works too! Besides, open source also means that stuff can be added into the system ad libitum. So you basically get all the good stuff the operating system is able to offer for free (though at some installation effort on your part), unlike horrible microsoft who refuses to give me aero unless I cough up huge mountains of cash.
4) Cause the desktop environtment >>>>>>>> windows -.- Ever since getting familiar with Ubuntu I can never go back to vista without wincing. I mean, how can I remain content with Vista's single desktop, when on Ubuntu I have EIGHT :

Besides, on Ubuntu I get nice glassy stylish themes :

Mini screen-shots for my alt-tabs :

Cool water effects :

And lotsa other cool, customizable window effects, including the all-important mac-style window switcher :

5) Besides, the linux system back-end also seems alot more friendly than that of windows, making linux alot more customizable and programmable...
Oops, I guess that's enough bragging for one post :D Gotta go for class now, so brag more next time ^^
3 comments:
UUUUU~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~BUNTUUU~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
why i dun use UUU~~~~~~~~~BUNTUUU~~~~ is coz it dc-s the user from DotA very frequently, HWAHAHWWHAHWHAHWAHHAH
Eh, I dc'd exactly once only k, and that's cos noob nusvpn dc'd.
blame nus network, ubuntu rox :P
wah im quite impressed. mac is giving me endless amounts of shit about hamachi and eurobattle. sadz.
Post a Comment